Kranich's Jewelers was established in York, Pennsylvania, in 1903. The company was originally called Kranich Brothers Jewelers. The Kranich Brothers had stores in York, Lancaster and Altoona, Pennsylvania as well as one in Worcester, Mass. The Altoona store opened in 1923. Charles and Mildred Kranich operated and expand the Altoona operation. In 1962, Charles and Mildred were joined in business by their son, Michael. In 1976 the Kranich's opened a store in Downtown State College, the home of Penn State University. Charles and Mildred Kranich died in 1978 and Michael took over the family business. Michael Kranich, now retired, was succeeded by his sons in the 1990’s. In 1996 Kranich's opened a second State College location at the Nittany Mall. In 2000 Kranich’s opened a location in the Johnstown Galleria. In 2008 Kranich’s dramatically expanded their Logan Valley Mall location and Corporate offices. In 2012 Kranich’s opened a huge new store on North Atherton Street in State College.
Throughout its history, Kranich's Jewelers has specialized in fine diamond jewelry and engagement rings. Today, Kranich's Jewelers also specializes in fine timepieces, colored gemstones, gold and platinum jewelry and pearls. They feature selections of Designer Jewelry, Estate Jewelry, Penn State Jewelry and Fine Crystal. Kranich’s features pieces by Simon G, Verragio, Ritani, Hidalgo, Belle Etoille, Swarovski, Pandora, Gucci, Burberry, and Michael Kors. In recent years, Kranich’s has actively grown their ecommerce business (kranichs.com). Kranich’s Jewelers is able to provide a high level of personal service at competitive pricing. The internet has given the company an international reach. In Central Pennsylvania, Kranich's Jewelers remains the leading source for Fine Jewelry and Gifts.
The Kranich family believes it is very important to contribute to the communities they serve. Consequently, they are involved in many civic and charitable activities. In 2003, Kranich's celebrated their 100th year. In recent years, Kranich’s has been inducted into the Blair County Business hall of fame and has been named one of Central Pennsylvania’s leading businesses by Pennsylvania Business Central Magazine.