Kranich's Jewelers was established in York, Pennsylvania, in 1903 as Kranich Brothers Jewelers. The Kranich Brothers had stores in York, Lancaster and Altoona, Pennsylvania as well as Worcester, Mass. The Altoona store opened in 1923. Charles and Mildred Kranich operated and expanded the Altoona operation. In 1962, Charles and Mildred were joined in business by their son, Michael. In 1976 the Kranich's opened a store in Downtown State College, the home of Penn State University. Charles and Mildred Kranich died in 1978 and Michael took over the family business. Michael Kranich was succeeded in business by his sons in the 1990’s. In 2000 Kranich’s opened a location in the Johnstown Galleria and in 2012 opened large free-standing location on North Atherton Street in State College. In 2018 a new flagship location opened in Kranich’s Plaza on Plank Road in Altoona. In 2019 the a new free-standing location opened on Scalp Avenue in Johnstown.
Throughout its history, Kranich's Jewelers has specialized in fine diamond jewelry and engagement rings. Today, Kranich's Jewelers also specialize timepieces, custom jewelry, designer jewelry and much more. In recent years, Kranich’s has actively grown their ecommerce business (kranichs.com). Kranich’s Jewelers is able to provide a high level of personal service at competitive pricing. The internet has given the company an international reach. In Central Pennsylvania, Kranich's Jewelers remains the leading source for Fine Jewelry and Gifts.
The Kranich family believes it is very important to contribute to the communities they serve. Consequently, they are involved in many civic and charitable activities. Well into our second century, Kranich’s look forward to continuing to serve our customers with an amazing selection, excellent values and top-notch customer service.